James T. Perkins Consulting
I am available on an occasional basis to consult on small office/home office computer networking and administration:
- Operating Systems - Linux, MacOS X, BSD, SunOS and networking them with Windows
- Services - Web, Domain Names, Network Time Protocol, mail, X-windows
- Security - virtual private networking, secure shell, firewalls, network address translation, backup, virus/spam filtering strategies, intrusion avoidance and repair
- Network - planning, routing, bridging, WLAN, DHCP, DSL, ISDN, IDSL, performance tuning
- Hardware - PC-based server configuration/reconfiguration, troubleshooting and repair, embedded systems
- Instruction - useful tools, effective techniques, why things are the way they are
My strongest abilities are: a broad and deep familiarity with specific
technologies, ability to cooperatively assess suitable solutions,
quickly deploy and tune them, and teach the maintainer enough to take it
- Served as company UNIX administrator for Eugene site of PSC with a dozen UNIX computers and 500-computer Windows network. Helped build a case for a full-time internet connection and intranet. Selected a full-time company UNIX administrator to take over from me. My full-time duties included networked toolset management for 20 DOS/Windows-based embedded software engineers.
- Helped plan, configure, and manage Linux-based network services for
a private software consulting firm employing a dozen professionals.
- Site leadership and administation at commonhouse.net, a colocation cooperative which hosts two dozen users, personal and business domains and websites.
- Coaching and web site set up for Bears on the Web.
- Network and systems infrastructure for a DSL-linked educational site Fritz the Brave!, including two Windows-based developers using CVS and a web development application, and an automated image gallery.
- Network and systems infrastructure for Saqra.
- Systems planning and main site administration for Portland State Aerospace Society, including site services and security, TWiki collaboration tool, and a Linux-based 802.11 embedded flight computer.
- Linux-based network setup and administration coaching for a small medical test equipemtn development lab, including WLAN, MacOS X and Windows clients, Samba filesharing, Apache webserver, DHCP, internal/external DNS, SMTP, backup strategy, secured wireless LAN, OpenVPN, and RCS.
In my regular employment I work on embedded operating systems internals, and in
the past have worked on UNIX V7 and X-windows internals.
I'm reasonably priced, and I am based in the greater Portland, Oregon area.
Feel free to drop me an email at